The World Void Information Controlling Organization (世界虚空情報統制機構 Sekai Kokū Jōhō Tōsei Kikō, localized as Novus Orbis Librarium), called for short the Controlling Organization (統制機構 Tōsei Kikō, localized as Librarium and NOL), or the Library (図書館 Toshokan) by their detractors, is a multinational task force, run by a central authoritarian leadership in the world of BlazBlue. The Controlling Organization's purpose is to keep balance in the world by safeguarding and regulating sources of dangerous power. The organization can be compared to the police or the military.
The World Void Information Controlling Organization was created during the Great Dark War by Yūki Terumi and by Seven of the Ten Sages. Back to that time it was known as the Void Information Administration Bureau (虚空情報管理局 Kokū Jōhō Kanri-kyoku) and was consisted of the leaders and representatives from countries all over the world. After the war, the organization moved to the Magic City Ishana and merged with the Magic Association, becoming the Void Information Management Agency (虚空情報管理機関 Kokū Jōhō Kanri Kikan, localized as Orbis Librarius Norma).
The planet is covered with Magic Element which in high amounts is deadly, so the mankind began to die out because of this. The organization took control over the people and built Hierarchical Cities, which are high-altitude areas. After the Six Heroes disappeared, Ishana was forgotten, and only the Twelve Originators maintained their strength, they decided to keep the grimoires and control who should have access to them. Decades later, the organization has become what it is today, the World Void Information Controlling Organization.
The organization is ruled by the Emperor. Information on the supreme ruler's location is kept strictly confidential, even within the Controlling Organization. The Emperor rarely appears in public, and only a few people know what the Emperor looks like.
The Integrated Headquarters (統合本部 Tōgō Honbu) are located in the 1st Hierarchical City "Ōkoto", and orders are issued from there to other city branches. However, sometimes orders are dispatched directly by the decree from the Emperor (帝からの命令書 Mikado kara no meireisho).
Although the organization claims they keep the grimoires from being misused, the people resented them for their tight control over the only thing that could let them use the Magic Formula. A great deal of dissent was caused by this widening socioeconomic gap between those who could, and could not, use Magic Formula. Years later, this dissent would eventually spark the Ikaruga Civil War, when the Ikaruga Federation openly rebelled against the Controlling Organization. After the war, the Controlling Organization imposed a harsher rule on the world, punishing any sign of rebellion with the death penalty.
During the Ikaruga Civil War, the Emperor, Tenjō Amanohokosaka, was slain by Jin Kisaragi. Her rightful successor was her child, Homura Amanohokosaka. However, Hazama and Relius Clover did everything to put Hades: Izanami in the Emperor's place. The real successor the most probably would be killed, but Kagura Mutsuki had Homura under his protection, as per Tenjō's request. Eventually, Homura became the Emperor, as it should be before.
- Emperor (帝 Mikado, localized as Imperator) – supreme ruler.
- Field Marshal (元帥大将 Gensui Taishō, localized as Invictus) – second in command.
- General (将官 Shōkan)
- Admiral (大将 Taishō)
- Lieutenant General (中将 Chūjō)
- Major General (少将 Shōshō)
- Brigadier General (准将 Junshō)
- Field Officer (左官 Sakan) – commander of the Controlling Organization military divisions.
- Colonel (大佐 Taisa)
- Lieutenant Colonel (中佐 Chūsa)
- Major (少佐 Shōsa)
- Company Officer (尉官 Ikan)
- Captain (大尉 Taii)
- First Lieutenant (中尉 Chūi)
- Second Lieutenant (少尉 Shōi)
- Warrant Officer (准尉 Jun'i)
- Other (その他 Sonohoka)
- Master Sergeant (曹長 Sōchō)
- Sergeant (軍曹 Gunsō)
- Corporal (伍長 Gochō)
- Lance Corporal (兵長 Heichō)
- Private First Class (上等兵 Jōtō-hei)
- Private E-2 (一等兵 Ichi tōhei)
- Private E-1 (二等兵 Ni tōhei)
- Magic Formula Troops (術式部隊 Jutsushiki Butai) are ground forces. They wear blue uniforms with a "Shimmering Blue Flame" color theme. Although during the Teach Me, Miss Litchi! <Reloaded> episode, Hazama describes it as "jolting sapphire". The unit is divided into the following groups:
- Melee Infantry (武装近接歩兵 Busō Kinsetsu Hohei), also known as the "Martial Infantry", use Magic Formula-enhanced armor coating and hand-to-hand combat.
- Magic Formula Infantry (武装術式歩兵 Busō Jutsushiki Hohei), also known as "Heavy Infantry", use Magic Formula in close-combat.
- Magic Formula Special Army (術式特化兵 Jutsushiki Tokka Hei), also known by its full name "the World Void Information Controlling Organization Special Infantry", specialize in long-range Magic Formula.
- Air Troops (航空部隊 Kōkū Butai) pilots and maintains small Magic Formula aircrafts called Shebalves (シュバルヴェ Shuvarube) and protects ports, although the Controlling Organization only has a few of the aircraft. They sport green uniforms with a "Triumphant Return of the Kingfisher" color theme.
- Intelligence Department (諜報部 Chōhō Bu) is not skilled in combat, but it specializes in gathering information. They wear black uniforms with a "Corrosive Jet Black" color theme.
- Relief Troops (救護部隊 Kyūgo Butai): No information.
- Imperial Palace Elite Guards (帝宮親衛隊 Mikado Kyū Shin'eitai): No information.
- Zeroth Division: Wings of Judgment (第零師団・審判の羽根 Dai-Zero Shidan: Shinpan no Hane) is not officially the part of the World Void Information Controlling Organization military forces. Technically they are called "Judges", or begrudgingly Garbage Disposal Troop (ゴミ処理部隊 Gomishori Butai). They are tasked with punishing those who rebel against the Controlling Organization, be it civilians or actual members. Their judgment is based on strict standards set by the Emperor. Their theme color is "incorruptible pure white". Members of this division wear white uniforms, special robes and masks, making it impossible to distinguish features such as gender or facial expressions at a glance, and they are widely feared as a result.
- Third Magic Division (第三魔道師団 Dai-San Madō Shidan)
- Fourth Magic Division (第四魔道師団 Dai-Yon Madō Shidan)
- Imperial Guards (近衛師団 Konoe Shidan) are elite members of various divisions who are sometimes called to assemble as a single group by the Emperor, normally they go about their assigned duties within their division. As opposed to the Wings of Judgment, they usually do not travel in units, the only exception would be when the Emperor summons them. They are almost regarded as class or title itself.
- Homura Amanohokosaka — the current Emperor,
- Kagura Mutsuki — colonel, the leader of the Imperial Palace Elite Guards,
- Meifang Lapislazuli — colonel, the leader of the Wings of Judgment,
- Jin Kisaragi — major of the Fourth Magic Division, and member of the Imperial Guards,
- Tsubaki Yayoi — major of the Wings of Judgment, previously the first lieutenant,
- Hibiki Kohaku — captain,
- Makoto Nanaya — second lieutenant of the Intelligence Department,
- Ellen Nelson — warrant officer of the Third Magic Division.
- Hades: Izanami — the former Emperor,
- Tenjō Amanohokosaka — the former Emperor, overthrown for Izanami,
- Relius Clover — former colonel of the Engineering Department,
- Hazama Honoka — former captain of the Intelligence Department, previously a colonel,
- Noel Vermillion — former second lieutenant of the Fourth Magic Division and former member of the Imperial Guards.
- This organization is called in the English version as the Novus Orbis Librarium, which means in Latin: "New World Library".
- The Controlling Organization's creed is: "We, dispatched from the shadows into daylight as disciples, are knights of the blue blaze." (我ら、終末の秘密側された、白日使徒にして、蒼炎の騎士なり。 Warera, shūmatsu no himitsu kawa sareta, hakujitsu shito ni shite, sōen no kishi nari.)
- ↑ This creed in English localization is: "Dispatched in mankind's darkest hour. We are knights of the blue flame!"