Dispatched in Mankind's darkest hour, we are knights of the blue flame!
―Creed of the Novus Orbis Librarium
The Novus Orbis Librarium (世界虚空情報統制機構, Sekai Kokū Jōhō Tōsei Kikō, lit. New World Void Space Cue Administration Bureau), called the NOL or Librarium for short (統制機構, Tōsei Kikō, lit. Administration Bureau) or simply the Library by their many detractors, is a multinational task force, run by a central authoritarian leadership in the world of BlazBlue. The NOL's purpose is to keep balance in the world by safeguarding and regulating sources of dangerous power. It was formerly known as the Orbis Librarius Norma (虚空情報管理機関, Kokū Jōhō Kanri Kikan, lit. Void Space Cue Management Sector) during the Dark War, but renamed itself to reflect its new position in the world.
The Librarium was created during the Dark War. When the Black Beast was trying to destroy the world, humans developed the Ars Magus; using it, humanity fought as one against the monstrosity. The people who first understood Ars Magus developed the first grimoires, granting anyone the ability to use Ars. The NOL developed a number of grimoires during the Dark War, and used them to help defeat the Black Beast. After the war ended, the NOL decided they should keep the grimoires and control who should have access to them. Although they claimed it was to keep the grimoires from being misused, the people resented them for their tight control over the only thing that could let them use the Ars Magus. A great deal of dissent was caused by this widening socioeconomic gap between those who could, and could not, use Armagus. Years later, this dissent would eventually spark the Ikaruga Civil War, or the Second War of Magic, when the Ikaruga Union openly rebelled against the Librarium. After the war, the Librarium imposed a harsher rule on the world, punishing any sign of rebellion with the death penalty.
- Imperator (supreme ruler)
- Invictus (second-in-command)
- Field Marshal
- - General
- - Lieutenant General
- - Major General
- - Brigadier General
- Field Officer (command NOL military divisions)
- - Colonel
- - Lieutenant Colonel
- - Major
- Company Officer
- - Captain
- - First Lieutenant
- - Lieutenant
- - Warrant Officer
- Master Sergeant
- Lance Corporal
- Private First Class
- Private E-2
- Private E-1
NOL Departments and Military Divisions and SquadronsEdit
- Armagus Soldier Units: Ground forces. Also known as Ars Magi. Blue uniforms with a "Shimmering Blue Flame" color theme. Although during the Teach Me, Miss Litchi [Reloaded] episode, Hazama describes it as "jolting sapphire"
- - Melee Infantry: Also known as the "Martial Infantry". Use armagus-enhanced armor coating and hand-to-hand combat.
- - Armagus Infantry: Also known as "Heavy Infantry". Use armagus in close-combat.
- - Special Armagus Soldiers: Full name is actually the "Novus Orbis Librarium Special Infantry" also known as "NOLSI". Specialize in long-range armagus.
- NOL Airforce: Known as the "Air Corps", they pilot and maintain small armagus aircrafts called "Shebalves" and protect ports, although the NOL only have a few of the aircraft. They sport green uniforms with a "Triumphant Return of the Kingfisher" color theme.
- Intelligence Department: Not skilled in combat, specialize in information gathering. Black uniforms with a "Corrosive Jet Black" color theme.
- Relief Corps: N/A
- Imperial Palace Guards: N/A
- Wings of Justice: Technically the Librarium calls them "Judges". They are not officially part of the NOL's military forces, and is part of only one division, which is designated as the "Zero Squadron". They are tasked with punishing those who rebel against the NOL, be it civilians or actual members. Their judgment is based on strict standards set by the Imperator. Wear special robes and masks, usually move in groups. White uniforms with an "Incorruptible Pure White" color theme.
- Praetorian Guard: Elite members of various divisions who are sometimes called to assemble as a single group by the Imperator, normally they go about their assigned duties within their division. As opposed to the Wings of Justice, they usually don't travel in units, the only exception would be when the Imperator summons them. They are almost regarded as class or title itself.
The NOL headquarters is located on the 1st Hierarchical City, and orders are issued from there to other city branches, however sometimes orders are dispatched directly by the Imperator by imperial decree.
Information on the Imperator's location is kept strictly confidential, even within the NOL. The Imperator rarely appears in public and only a few people know what the Imperator looks like.
Known members in the LibrariumEdit
- Jin Kisaragi, a major and commander of the fourth division of the NOL and part of the Praetorian Guard. (defected)
- Noel Vermillion, a lieutenant and officially Jin's secretary. (defected to Sector Seven)
- Tsubaki Yayoi, a major of Zero Squadron, the "Wings of Justice"
- Hazama, a captain of the NOL's Intelligence Department.
- Makoto Nanaya, Lieutenant working for the Intelligence Department. (defected to Sector Seven)
- Saya, the Imperator Librarius of the NOL.
- Litchi Faye-Ling, rank unknown (formerly Sector Seven)
- Relius Clover, Colonel of the NOL's Engineering Department.
- Phantom, a servant of the Imperator, possibly the Invictus
- Kagura Mutsuki, a general and the leader of the NOL's Imperial Palace Guards.
- Novus - "new"
- Orbis - "circle", "ring", "sphere", "world", anything round or rotating. It also means "humanity" or "order".
- Librarium - "of the library"
- "Flame" is a synonym for "blaze". Basically, the members of the NOL call themselves "knights of the blue blaze".
- The NOL is similar to the Holy Knights in the Guilty Gear series.