The academy is fairly exclusive, with difficult entrance exams; there are preparatory schools dedicated to helping students prepare for them. Most students are from important families like the Twelve Originators, some are invited via special recommendation, and rarely, some are scouted for being talented. Entrance exams entail tests on physical and mental prowess, as well as Magic Formula aptitude. Students who are accepted leave home and live in the academy's dormitories.
Although the school is extremely large, Torifune is actually one of the smallest Hierarchical Cities. It has a population in the tens of thousands, with approximately 80% of its population related directly to the school. The actual city is within Indonesia.
Most of the management and defense of the city is handled primarily by the student council (生徒会 seito-kai) and students. The council is restricted to the more talented students – Jin Kisaragi was the student council president during his tenure, with his friends and roommates Taro Sasagae and Akane Teruhiko also a part of it. Tsubaki Yayoi joined the council during her first year. The first of the student council presidents was Elina.
Like other Hierarchical Cities, it is divided into levels with a Controlling Organization Branch at the top. The second level contains a single port, which is the only way to enter or exit. This is because students are expected to live entirely within the city except for one break a year, and to help keep the many students and officials living there safe from terrorist attacks and other dangers. The third level contains the security and management departments, the fourth level contains junior high through college facilities, the fifth level contains pre-school to elementary, the sixth level is the business district, the seventh level contains the dormitories, and level eight through ten are off limits to students. Their gear-type elevators are more powerful and run better than the ones in most Hierarchical Cities, due to the Controlling Organization managing the city. The city is more organized and well-planned than others such as Kagutsuchi as a result.
The lower levels of the city, that remain unknown to the public, are both hazardous and varied. In the eighth level, thick toxic fogs of Magic Element are known to drift around, while there is a small mansion located somewhere within the area. Another area within the academy contains a beach. One of the more exotic places in the academy is a large desert where the Guardian resides. The student council struggle to have a proper grasp on this area, but few students ever visit it.
Noel Vermillion and Makoto Nanaya both joined the Academy for the benefits it provided to their families. Tsubaki Yayoi and Jin Kisaragi was expected to enter, coming from one of the Twelve Originators. The father of Mai Natsume sent her to the academy after her transformation, while Kajun Faycott attended in order to fulfill her assignment from Kokonoe. Shiori Kirihito and Chachakaka enlisted the academy in order to assassinate Jin and Mai.
Faculty and students
- Relius Clover — the Academy's creator
- Estella McKenzie — teacher
- Sypher Alvar — teacher of Alchemy (deceased)
- Elina — former student and first student council president (deceased)
- Jin Kisaragi — graduate and former student council president
- Taro Sasagae — graduate and former student council member
- Akane Teruhiko — former student council member
- Tsubaki Yayoi — former student council member
- Noel Vermillion — early graduate. Highest recorded Magic Formula aptitude in the Academy's history
- Makoto Nanaya — graduate
- Mai Natsume — unknown status
- Kajun Faycott — former student
- Shiori Kirihito — former student
- Chachakaka — former student
- Carl Clover — dropout
- The 15th Hierarchical City "Torifune" is named after the Japanese god Ame no Torifune.
- Even though it is popularly known as the Military Academy, its full name is: the 15th Hierarchical Municipal Military Academy Belonging to the World Void Information Controlling Organization (第十五階層都市立 世界虚空情報統制機構 付属士官学校 Dai-Jūgo Kaisō Toshiritsu Sekai Kokū Jōhō Tōsei Kikō Fuzoku Shikan Gakkō)