|Date of Birth:||February 14|
|Weight:||155kg (341.7 lbs)|
|Weapon:||Nox Nyctores - Interfectum Malus: Ōkami|
|Material Collection Information|
|Simple Move List|
|Special Attacks:||· Gurren|
|Distortion Drives:||· Kokūjin: Shippu |
· Kokūjin: Yukikaze
· Kokūjin Ōgi: Mugen
|Astral Heat:||Kokūjin Ōgi: Akumetsu|
|Japanese Voice:||Tetsuya Kakihara|
|English Voice:||David Vincent|
Hakumen is a samurai-esque warrior wielding a sword as tall as he is and wearing a mask that completely hides his face. He is an incredibly powerful individual in the BlazBlue universe, so much so that the player is often told to proceed with caution when confronting him, and at times even advised not to do so entirely. His armor (which is the Susano'o Unit), seems to grant him limitless energy and incredible power, and his sword (a Nox Nyctores named "Ookami") appears to bear the capability to kill characters that otherwise would be immortal, or have rapid healing properties that would make them difficult or impossible to kill. This makes him an equally dangerous foe to both mortal men as well as more powerful beings. It seems that Hakumen finds nuclear weapons to be a greater evil than the Black Beast was. This might be because while the Black Beast did spread destruction, it left seithr which became the power source for the future, while nuclear weapons just completely obliterated any life within its radius and leaves the area irradiated and useless.
He was the legendary "Silver Knight" who appeared during the First War of Magic, and lead a band of Six Heroes (including himself) that ultimately defeated the Black Beast. Afterwards, Hakumen warned the people to "change their evil ways", but was exiled and sealed in a place called "The Edge" of The Boundary for roughly 90 years.
He was later 'rescued', by Kokonoe, a scientist who often subjects Hakumen to her whims. He finds himself repeatedly aggravated by her meddling, especially when she interferes with his duels by having him teleported elsewhere. While Hakumen is generally a grumpy sort who often attacks characters without provocation, there are a few characters he will tolerate, including Jubei, one of his former comrades among the Six Heroes, and Rachel Alucard, to whom he feels indebted. He also seems to show an intense respect towards Bang Shishigami because of his sense of justice.
It is revealed that Hakumen is, in fact, Jin Kisaragi through hints given to the player during both their respective stories in Calamity Trigger. In one of Jin's endings, he leaps after his brother, Ragna, when Nu-13 latches onto him and jumps into the Cauldron with him at the Gates of Sheol. This thrusts Jin back into the past where he meets Rachel Alucard, who offers to help him become a true hero. From here, his soul is bound to the Susano-o armor, and he becomes Hakumen. Then he goes on to defeat the Black Beast as one of the Six Heroes.
In one of Hakumen's Calamity Trigger endings, he calls Ragna his brother after 'killing' him (though bear in mind this Ragna was only an illusion), and Ragna recognizes him after Hakumen removes his mask to bid farewell to him face-to-face. Hakumen then claims he must denounce his old name, and ends up fighting a shadow of his former self, Jin Kisaragi. He also states that he must do this to repent for killing his brother, implying that Jin, even as Hakumen still cares about Ragna due to lacking possession of Yukianesa.
During Continuum Shift, it's revealed that when he was still Jin, Tsubaki was his secretary instead of Noel and while they had more time together he still left her which ultimately in his neglect lead to her demise, and in respect named one of his techniques after her. He also learns that Kokonoe is storing nuclear warheads, something he fears and despises even more than the Black Beast. Hakumen and Jin try to defeat Mu, but had no success. During the fight, he was relieved that Jin was able to control himself. Sometime after the incident at the Sheol Gates, believing Rachel to be too soft as an observer, Hakumen decides to walk his own path.
Material Collection Information
- Values: Order
- Dislikes: The Black Beast
Hakumen follows a rather unique blend of cyborg and samurai. He wears semi-heavy white armor and a muscular body suit with a large collar and the traditional hakama present, ballooning pants common in samurai. His long bright blue hair is tied at the mane. All armored sections feature fully-functional crimson eyes with slit pupils. These eyes are not as much of an intimidation as much as the mask he wears; a completely white, two horned helmet with no features or visor, appearing to have no face at all, a feature that paralyzes even Ragna in fear.
Hakumen devotes his entire life to destroying the evils that corrupt the world, and wants to erase those he believes should not exist. He is a serious, no-nonsense sort who maintains a calm and collected presence, rarely letting things get to his head. However, he is also quite prideful and even arrogant sometimes, to the point of occasionally getting him into issues. He prefers to do things on his own, and hates to rely on others' assistance with anything. Despite being a powerful warrior, he is not without mercy, and even spared Ragna when he was injured.
Being the future version of Jin Kisaragi, it's no surprise that the two share similar personality traits. Both are cold at times, but Hakumen is more focused rather than distant. He is essentially what Jin would be without the influence of Yukianesa or anyone else manipulating him. He knows that it is his destiny to destroy Ragna, being the bearer of the Power of Order, yet hates every bit of this fact, showing that he still has feelings for his brother.
The only time he has ever dropped his calm and focused persona is during his Bad Ending, where Hazama cruelly tortures Tsubaki. Having lost Tsubaki previously and still loving her to the day, he displays extreme rage when anyone hurts her.
Powers and Abilities
Being one of the Six Heroes, Hakumen possesses exceptional strength incomprehensible to the norm. The armor, Sankishin Susano'o, bestows him with incredible fighting prowess, allowing him to tap into infinite reserves of power, enabling him to fight for prolonged periods of time without rest and to increase his own strength. The various eyes adorned all over the armor suggest that they are for sight enhancement as the helmet features no visor.
His weapon of choice is Nox Nyctores, Ookami, a nodachi with an odd blunt tip in place of a sharp point. The sword is attached to a sheath on his back with a slot to allow him to draw the sword without straining his arm due to its long length. Hakumen repeatedly claims that despite its cursed nature, it is a weapon meant to destroy evil, hinting that it may have holy properties. It apparently possesses the ability to negate ars magus as well. Hakumen's Drive, Zanshin, allows him to project energy barriers that repel enemy attacks and allow him to effectively counter advances towards him. Unlike the other characters who have a Heat Gauge, Hakumen uses a special 8-point gauge named Magatama, that allows him to pull off all of his special attacks, which automatically fills up or can be filled up by countering attacks. While using unlimited form his gauge will regenerate faster. In addition, whenever Hakumen's sword attacks clash with a projectile, he leaves behind a large vacuum crest known as Fumajin (Earthbind) at the point where the clash took place. Not only can it absorb all projectiles but it can also damage his opponent if they touch it though this will cancel it out.
- SUSANOOH - Hakumen's theme
- The Gate - The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
- Closed World -The GATE- - Truth lies at the bottom of a well.
- AD2110/01/01, -Lies and Truth-
- AD2200/01/07, Heaven and Hell
- Atonement hero
- Main article: Hakumen/Quotes
- Hakumen refers to Jubei and Kokonoe as "grimalkin", meaning an evil cat. Towards Jubei, this seems to be just friendly banter, but it is clear from his tone of voice that he views Kokonoe as utterly evil due to her scientific experiments and the fact that she plans to use nuclear warheads to stop Yūki Terumi.
- Hakumen's Birthday is the same as that of his counterpart Jin indicating that he still has some memories of his past. This is further supported in Continuum Shift from his conversation with Tsubaki.
- Furthermore, In Rachel's story she refers to both Jin and Hakumen as "Mr. Hero".
- It should be noted that throughout the games, Hakumen is only at 20% of his full power.
- Until the player gets to Hakumen's ending where he fights Ragna and kills him, no one knows that Hakumen is Jin. Rachel points to this in a way when you get one of Jin's endings (where she asks if Jin would like to become a "real hero"), or when you meet her in one of Hakumen's paths. In Continuum Shift, Hakumen directly confronts and defeats a bewildered Jin in his story, while he chastises Jin's obsessiveness.
- It is unknown if Ragna knows why Hakumen wants to kill him, or if Hakumen's desire to kill Ragna stems from remnants of Yukianesa's power, The will of Order or Terumi's influence on him from living within the Susanno for so long. Even though Terumi was honest in telling Jin that Ragna is part of the Black Beast, it's possible that Ragna can do something else other than destroy, though Hakumen does not want to risk that. Another possible reason is that he might think he can keep the Black Beast from being 'born' by killing Ragna, which could be possibly one of the easiest and efficient methods. By Continuum Shift, his focus is shifted mainly on Terumi and Saya, though he still acts antagonistic to Ragna.
- It seems that Hakumen can "sense" the fact that Kokonoe is going to test upon him and turn him into a Gundam-Like Hybrid called the "Silver Samurai", and even states that his fear of being turned into a giant fighting robot like Tager earlier was in his story line (One of Tager's optional endings in Calamity Trigger has him being turned into a golden robot and blasting Bang into space, which acts out nearly like an anime), and adds to the fact that "it's more stronger than the Black Beast", then said that he was in "Danger... Great danger."
- For both Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift Hakumen posses an instant kill combo if done correctly is very difficult to use and can only be done when Kokūjin Ōgi: Mugen is activated.
- This combo was changed for CSII. Still using Kokuujin Ougi: Mugen, it is easier, but it deals a total of 9000 Damage.
- Hakumen's Guilty Gear counterparts come in the form of both Baiken and Justice. From the former, he borrows her vengeful and callous nature as well as the samurai motif while the basic design and meaning of the namesake from the latter. Strangely, both characters are female. He also shares the guard point attribute with Anji Mito as some of his sword swings can stop many projectile and melee attacks, though Bang is more of being counterpart than Hakumen is. He's also counterpart of Order-Sol, both of them are a time-traveller of the their original self such as Jin Kisaragi, Hakumen's past-self and the original Sol-Badguy, Order-Sol's future-self.
- One of Hakumen's DLC colors in CS reassembles Baiken.
- Along with Rachel, Hazama and Arakune, Hakumen is one of the few who do not appear to have a skeleton. This is caused for the fact he's just a suit of armor (apperently), but still will get shocked. His insides appears as his armor outline, wires, and orb-shaped items.
- The word hakumen means "white face" or "white mask" in Japanese. It can also mean "blank face". Both are true in Hakumen's case.
- Although Hakumen does not have any joke endings of his own (something referred to by Kokonoe in his bad ending), in Continuum Shift he briefly appears in Noel's as one of the customers unfortunate enough to eat the character in question's "dish" and in Tager's as an eccentric replica prototype called "Silver Hakumen" whom does not say more than half of the infamous oath. "I am the white void! I am.....etc etc. The end has come!" When Kokonoe says he's going to explode, the clone yells "The END has COME!" before blowing up and ending the Gag Reel.
- The name of his stronger form known as Silver Samurai is a possible homage to the Marvel character of the same name.
- In Continuum Shift, dialogue reveals that the multiple orbs on his body are his eyes. There exists the possibility that Hakumen also has eyes in his head, as shown in his Canon Ending where it is revealed that he is Jin, pulling off his mask to see Ragna one last time before he dies (Ragna was a illusion of the Boundary).
- In Japanese, the "Just Sword" part of his speech its written "Jin" in Romanji, so the speech that says "Ware wa Jin" can also be translated "I am Jin" which is actually a Stealth Pun, in which he reveals himself as Jin Kisaragi.
- His achievement "You're already dead" could be a reference to the Kenshiro catchphrase.
- The Japanese god Susano'o and Hakumen, whose Susano'o Unit is named after this god, have a few things in common. Both have slayed an eight-headed monster (Yamata-no-Orochi/The Black Beast) and both were banished from their home (Susanoo to the earth/Hakumen to "The Edge" beyond the Boundary).
- It is also to be noted that one of Hakumen's alternate color schemes resembles that of Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach, a character with orange hair and black outfit as well as a sword as long as his height. This color palette previously resembles to that of black Zero in Mega Man X series in CT, with white hair and orange sword slashes.
- One of Hakumen's DLC color almost resembles Omega (First Form) from Mega Man Zero series. Another color palette of hakumen almost resembles Golden Omega from the same game franchise.
- Incidentally, there is also a color palette (fourth in the first palette selection board) that resembles the main character Zero (red and black outfit and green sword). However, instead of the whole blade being green, only Hakumen's sword slashes are. The sword is yellow, which might be a reference to Zero's yellow sword in the Mega Man X series (X3).
- In Continuum Shift's Arcade Mode, Hakumen is not fought in the final stage, however, along with Ragna and Hazama, Hakumen can be fought in his Unlimited Form (in the case of Tager and Hazama), also, in Score Attack Mode, he is one of the 4 characters that are fought in their Unlimited Forms, along with Rachel, Ragna and Hazama.
- A VA allusion with David Vincent seems to show with his role as Assassin from Fate/Stay Night. Both he and Hakumen seem to wield nodachis and are said to be one of the strongest characters in their respective series (and have a high chance of beating their protagonist without hindrance). Hakumen also shares similarities with Archer, who is also the future version of one of the main protagonists (Shirou Emiya) and is far more powerful than his present counterpart. They also hold varying degrees of disdain and bitterness towards their past selves. In Hakumen's case, it was Jin's obsession with killing Ragna and his self-serving idealogy; which made him into Yukianesa's puppet and led to Tsubaki's death. In Archer's case, he scorns Shirou for his idealistic notions of becoming a "hero of justice", which ultimately led to Archer becoming a Counter Guardian, a being who becomes the World's 'cleaner' to prevent calamities that threaten its existence at the cost of their individuality when summoned. Another key element that Archer and Hakumen have in common is that they are both bound by the will of their worlds, and act in accordance with said wills to preserve them by any means necessary. The main difference between them is that while Hakumen is only subtly manipulated by the Power of Order bestowed upon him by the world and can resist its influence(as stated by Jubei and Ragna when they spoke to Jin in Continuum Shift), Archer's will and consciousness is completely subdued by the World when he is summoned by it.
- Berserker from Fate/zero strongly resembles Hakumen in terms of appearance. They are also powerful adversaries that harbor vindictive grudges against the protagonists and seek to eliminate them.
- Much like the Murakumo Units, Hakumen and Jin have the same input for their Astral Heats.
- An interesting fact is that the basis for Hakumen's Zanshin drive came from an old developer for SNK Playmore who joined the Blazblue CT project at one point. Thus, the drive's functions are a throwback to the Last Blade/Bakumatsu Roman series' Repel system.
- Storywise, it is unclear what exactly Hakumen's Drive does. Possible explanations are that either Zanshin stops time for a very brief moment or the shield Hakumen creates nullifies the opponent's attacking power to help him make a counter attack. Both explanations being true is also entirely possible (especially given Hakumen's ability to cut through space and time, as demonstrated in his Story Mode in Continuum Shift). In the Chimelical Complex manga however, Zanshin seems to absorb incoming force and redirect it into the attacker in a manner very similar to Accelerator's Reflector in Toaru Majutsu no Index series.
- Intriguingly, in both Chimelical Complex, where Hakumen fights Ragna, and The Wheel of Fortune, where Hakumen fights Hazama, Zanshin is used to avoid an attack from behind. Ragna only gets pushed away however, while Hazama is countered by a heavy slash.
- While his past counterpart, Jin, is similiar to Vergil from Devil May Cry 3, Hakumen is similar to Corrupted Vergil's Devil Trigger form, Nelo Angelo, both wielding a large blade.
- Another Counterpart of Hakumen could be Kamui Tokinomiya from the Arcana Heart game, both are Samurais, are devoted to Justice, both of them have their long hair tied at the mane, and have a special counterattack (even for Astral Heat/Critical Heart). Also, one of Kamui's DLC colors ressembles Hakumen. (Even her Katana is colored as Hakumen's Ookami).
- For the new storylines in Extend, the distortion effects for his English dialogue were either too much, or the pitch of the outgoing clips were lowered in pitch, giving the impression that Hakumen has a new voice.
- Hakumen's crest depicts a kitsune in the center, a fox in Japanese mythology that can grow as many as nine tails.
- For an unknown reason, in Hakumen's CS audio gallery, right after "Kokuujin Ougi: Akumetsu", it can be heard "Kokuujin: Rehhyou".
|Ragna the Bloodedge · Jin Kisaragi · Noel Vermillion · Rachel Alucard · Taokaka · Carl Clover · Litchi Faye-Ling · Arakune · Iron Tager · Bang Shishigami · Nu-13 · Hakumen|
|Lambda-11 · Hazama · Tsubaki Yayoi · Mu-12|
|Continuum Shift II|
|Makoto Nanaya · Valkenhayn R. Hellsing · Platinum the Trinity|
|Continuum Shift Extend|
|Amane Nishiki · Bullet · Azrael · Izayoi · Kagura Mutsuki · Yūki Terumi|
|Ada Clover · Akane Teruhito · Ayame Yayoi · Black Beast · Bloodedge · Cajun Faycott · Celica A. Mercury · Clavis Alucard · Estella McKenzie · Gii · Guardian of the Azure Grimoire · Ignis Clover · Ikaruga Ninjas · Jubei · Kaka Elder · Kaka Kittens · Kazuma Kuvaru · Kokonoe · Konoe A. Mercury · Lao Jiu · Linhua · Lord Tenjō · Mai Natsume · Nago · Phantom · Saya · Shūichirō Ayatsuki · Taro Zazagae · Tomonori · Torakaka · Trinity Glassfield|